Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cool, Calm & Contentious- Merrill Markoe

Cool, Calm & Contentious


Merrill Markoe

Villard, Aug 7 2012, $15.00

ISBN: 9780345518927



This intelligent collection of twenty essays overall displays Merrill Markoe’s mirthful muses though it also contains some serious topics. The anthology starts off with the witty “The Place, The Food, Everything Awful: The Diaries of Ronny Markoe” the journal observations of her mom when she traveled the world; followed by an ode “In Praise Of Crazy Mommies.” I second Ms. Markoe’s emotions when she explains sharing her home with canine chaos in “Why I Love My Dogs” and “Jimmy Explains His Wake-Up Technique;” as my spouse insists my late marvelous Max was my significant other. In “When I Was Jack Kerouac” and “Virginity Entrepreneurs” readers obtain insight into the author’s high school and college days in Miami and the San Francisco Bay area are overshadowed by being raped at Berkley. Readers will relish this strong compilation as all the entries engage the audience who will enjoy spending “Saturday Night with Hieronymus Bosch” and learning the Markoe mantra “On How To Spot An Asshole” boyfriend type.



Harriet Klausner





No comments: